FAQs - SaaS
Frequently asked questions about cloud-based solutions for SaaS providers and the iland SaaS Cloud.
- How do I move towards a SaaS delivery model?
- How will I keep my customers and remain competitive when my customers are asking for a hosted version of our app and there are pure SaaS vendors entering our market?
- How will things be different once I've converted?
- How do I convert?
- What are the benefits of moving to a SaaS model with iland?
- Will I be able to customize my applications for certain customers?
- How much time, money and other resources for infrastructure build out do we need?
- What certificates do we need?
- What about backup, recovery and DR?
- What about storage and performance?
- What about datacenter networking?
- What support is provided?
- Where will my data be located?
- How will we price our app? Can we make money? What will be the take-up rate?
- What management control will we have?
- How easy will it be to scale operations?
- How secure is your infrastructure?
- What about availability, performance and SLAs?
- How will we manage the infrastructure?
- How much will it cost?
- Can I test my software in a cloud environment to see if it can be delivered as a SaaS model?
- Would we need to re-architect/re-write our software?
- Should I convert to a SaaS model?
Moving from a traditional physical environment to a virtual environment allows for greater flexibility and scalability around the consumption of workload capacity i.e. CPU, RAM, disk, etc. This flexibility allows SaaS providers to consume and deliver the exact quantity of resources for their software applications required by their customers.
iland provides many OS and application licensing options on a consumption basis which gives organizations greater flexibility and scalability when it comes to providing software on a SaaS basis. Read more about iland's SaaS cloud.
iland works with you to determine the resources you will need initially but also makes sure that you have the ability to scale up and out by adding additional capacity on demand for new or migrating customers. iland's cloud platform allows you to move individual customers one at a time as they convert from being on premise to the cloud.
- Fast-track to market - with the ability to test a variety of environments before a full deployment, SaaS providers reduce the time required for software development and solution deployment in diverse IT environments, streamlining the entire implementation process
- Economies of scale
- Security & compliance – iland SaaS Cloud is HIPAA and ITAR compliant
- Network - for an ISV that has peak and valley usage that leads to high bandwidth requirements and substantial hardware allocation for a combination of short and extended periods of time
- Pricing – options to fit your business and your budget
- Reliability – high availability uptime, SLAs of 99.99%
- Lower total cost of ownership – significantly cheaper than deploying on-premise because a virtual deployment can easily create multiple environments with different operating systems on the same server, saving SaaS providers from having to make a large investment in datacenter space, infrastructure and hardware
- Broad access to connectivity to tier 1 IP Providers
- Disaster recovery
- Scalability - test and deploy services on a ready-to-run virtual machine that includes pre-image templates allowing for quick deployments
- Accessibility – portal access to the system for software and configuration updates
- Resource availability guarantee – iland guarantees that resources will be available for those with a resource pool so your resources won't just stop if you use all your resources
- Enterprise class, high performance storage
- High-computing power for fast processing
For customers that have already invested time and money into a local installation of vSphere, customers can leverage a free tool called “vCloud Connector” that enables the migration of templates between environments and basic management from their vSphere client.
Certain industries also require compliance with specific regulations which means you may need certifications in order for you to supply SaaS to organizations that operate within them. For example, a SaaS provider that provides software to healthcare institutions has to comply with HIPAA regulations because those institutions are dealing with patient information. You will need to determine whether the industry you are providing SaaS to requires regulatory compliance.
As an IaaS provider, iland provides its services from SSAE 16 and ISO 27001 certified facilities and is certified to provide IaaS to a number of different industries. We deliver HIPAA compliant cloud services and sign the Business Associate Agreement (BAA) for our Healthcare SaaS providers. iland also delivers qualified cloud infrastructure for Bio and Life Science ISVs who deliver validated applications according to GxP and ITAR compliant services for our SaaS providers who serve the U.S. Defense industry.
able to restore your IT infrastructure, data availability, operational processes, and business processes quickly and completely.
Small and medium size SaaS companies can realistically take advantage of lower bandwidth costs to implement their own cloud-based DR. iland offers SAN-based, agent-based, host-based and native VMware DR options that support various Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) and Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs). Whatever the size of your budget, there is a DR plan available from iland. And because your DR plan will be in a public cloud, iland offers dedicated VLANs, dedicated network equipment, dedicated volumes for storage, and encryption of data both in transit and at rest.
Technical support for iland customers is included as part of your contract. You can access our Technical Support team using a number of options. The support team will:
- Provide support and troubleshooting of network and hosted cloud infrastructure
- Monitor agreed upon equipment, components and operating systems
- Diagnose problems and offer resolutions on a 24x7x365 basis
You may or may not know what the likely take up rate will be. iland helps you figure out how to be competitive today and to hit the volumes you want to hit. We will work with you to implement a volume discounting scheme that you can step into up front.
iland manages and maintains multiple customers and end users in a secure, multi-tenancy vCloud powered environment. For technology organizations with outside developers, iland's cloud platform offers end user self-deployment within security parameters that can be set up by the SaaS provider. For example, within vCloud Director (vCD) an organization's admin can restrict or grant visibility to specific users to see vApps, templates, catalogs or management tabs within the portal. This makes it possible to preconfigure security parameters so that a vCD environment is on a self-service basis by the end user but the SaaS provider maintains complete control.
Dedicated virtual datacenters (vDCs) can be set up to enable isolation of resources and also offer the benefits of a direct costing model with each vDC being billed directly.
While availability is important, iland SaaS customers also benefit from performance based SLAs to ensure the infrastructure, and ultimately your applications perform at their best. iland's cloud environment is multi-tenanted but, unlike other IaaS providers, your neighbors have no effect on your performance. Why? Built on VMware technology we guarantee Service Levels of 99.99% for network and I/O performance. Again, unlike other IaaS providers, iland deploys virtual machines in the same facility with dedicated resources to ensure consistent network and application performance. iland has an n+1 or greater redundancy on all of our infrastructure components and because it is built on VMware technology, it offers an extremely high level of availability and reliability.
Moving your production applications to our vCloud powered cloud, whether on a PAYG or reserved pool model, gives you a self-service approach that allows you to deploy from templates and enables you to import existing preconfigured machines via ovf import or vCloud Connector within minutes.
iland provides you with a SaaS enablement framework that follows a sequence of events including technical discovery, migration, testing, scale strategy, go to market, provisioning and support processes, compliance, security, certification, audit processes and more . Our considerable experience in transitioning organizations to a SaaS model can be seen with the numerous SaaS customers we have and the SaaS use cases available on our website. And in most cases we have deployed SaaS customers in a very short time period.
ISVs are responding by transitioning their software delivery models to cloud-based SaaS. If you have not yet transitioned to a SaaS model you should not only be prepared to do so but also equip your organization to offer a stronger supporting role for your software applications. Converting to a cloud-based SaaS delivery model with iland shifts responsibility for hardware, systems availability and backups to iland while you focus on extending your reach to customers – including those that could not previously afford your software.